While many people might have ditched the pen and paper, something still has to be said for the traditional ways of keeping in touch. Snail mail is not only more romantic, but is also requires more effort which is something certainly acknowledged by the receiver. So if you are sitting in one of the Sydney hostels right now about to write an email to your boyfriend or girlfriend back home, consider instead picking up a piece of paper and pen after reading these points:
- The tangible nature of mail: Receiving mail from someone is very different to receiving an email. A letter can be felt, touched, smelt and kept. While an email can be kept in a folder in your email account for safe keeping, it’s really not the same thing.
- Your handwriting is unique to you, so in each letter you write your personality shines through: Unlike with a typed email, the way we write is a reflection of our feelings and our personalities. When people read a hand written letter that’s from someone they love, it gives a stronger feeling of being there with them than if they were to receive an email.
- It shows your dedication and effort: Hand writing a letter and sending it takes far more effort than sending an email. This makes it valued higher in the eyes of the receiver and can become almost like a special keepsake from you they can treasure.
- For romantics, hand written letters are always best: If you have a girlfriend back home that’s a hopeless romantic, sending her a hand-written letter will certainly make her swoon. Unlike an email, it’s something she can keep under her pillow or fold and put in her wallet.
- It can have a distinct smell: If you are away from your boyfriend for some time a letter with your fragrance sprayed onto it can be just the thing to make him long for you even more. Smell is an important sense and can transport us to past memories and loved ones. Spraying fragrance on your letter can remind your boyfriend of you and long for your smell.
- The anticipation of receiving something in the mail: Receiving something (apart from a bill) in the mail is exciting. It’s not like receiving a new email and is much more of an exciting experience for different reasons.
If you have been staying in one of the best backpackers Sydney has to offer tourists and are in need of getting in contact with your nearest and dearest back home, consider writing them a letter rather than sending them an email. Choose the paper carefully and write using a quality pen. Once you’ve written and sent the letter you could send them a quick email letting them know to expect something from you soon in the post. Guaranteed they’ll love the thought and sentiment behind a hand written letter from yours truly and will be excited to receive your letter in the mail when it arrives.