So you’ve booked yourself accommodation in one of the best Backpackers Sydney has to offer and are ready for a ripper Aussie Christmas. But what actually constitutes a ‘ripper Aussie Christmas’ I hear you say? Find out here:
Feasting On All the Right Foods
In order to have a great Australian Christmas, you have to start off by eating the right foods. Here are some of the traditional Aussie offerings that you can expect to have in any home across the country on Christmas:
- A selection of cold meats - ham especially
- Barbecue Chicken
- Prawns, oysters and other seafood
- Some Aussie’s opt for a BBQ, which would include steaks, sausages and seafood
- Salads such as coleslaw
- Sometimes families will still have a roast turkey or leg of lamb, but this might be reserved for dinner time
- Christmas desserts-Traditionally pavlova, trifle, Summer pudding, Christmas Cake
Of course all of these delicious foods are usually washed down with a few bottles of beer, a glass of champers, wine or even soft drink.
Spending the Day Outdoors
Australian Christmas’s are hot! So forget sitting by the fire this year. Try to plan to get outside by either going to the beach, enjoying some sport with friends at a park in the afternoon, or having a picnic lunch outdoors.
Do Your Preparation
Because shops are closed on Christmas, you need to make sure that if you are buying food items to feast on, you purchase them on Christmas eve. If you are going to a catered event, then there’s no need to worry.
Choosing the Right Christmas Day Event
If you are thinking about buying tickets to an event which incorporates everything from food, drinks to entertainment, it’s a good idea to look around and do some searching online. You want to find the best deal that will suit you. There are plenty of cruises on Sydney Harbour too if you want to go all out. Ultimately, there are just so many great places to spend Christmas you might be hard pressed to make a decision!
If you are spending Christmas in Sydney and you will be looking for tickets to an event, start looking as early as possible.
Underneath the Christmas Tree
So you’ve got a great bunch of mates together who you will be spending the day with. You’ve researched the best Sydney hostels and your accommodation is all booked. But what about the gifts for Christmas day? While you will all be wanting to save some money to enjoy your trip, it shouldn’t mean you should miss out on presents. Here’s a great idea:
- Organise a Secret Santa or Kris Kringle
- Firstly write down the name’s of everyone who you will be spending Christmas Day with. Write these names on separate pieces of paper.
- Have everyone draw a name out of a hat (if they draw their own name, they have to choose again).
- Whoever you get, you have to buy a gift for.
- Set a limit, for example $20.
- If you like, give the gifts a theme, ‘Aussie Christmas’ for example. Great gift ideas could include a pair of thongs, a wife beater singlet, a stubby holder, straw hat, sunscreen- the possibilities are endless!
So there you have it. Your complete guide to having a ripper Aussie Christmas. Have a wonderful festive season on your trip down under and of course, don’t forget the sunscreen!